Saturday, July 17, 2010

Captain's Personal Log: Stardate 07172010

Life's been pretty good these last few days. I've had to sell all but one of my motorcycles, but I've gotten the last remaining bike out of storage and on the road and I've put in almost 200 miles in the last three days. I'm getting the budget back under control, and we've all agreed we want to re-establish the authority levels we used to enjoy before the storm I've mentioned began. But there's always a catch. One of my Ladies has a cousin that has been very ill and is not expected to last much longer. The Lady has gone to visit the cousin hoping to bring her some comfort. This means Fairlady 2 and I will be alone together, which for some reason invariably leads to a fight. I really don't know why, but it seems that every time she and I are in the "Traditional couple" roles, she get's nitpicky and naggy. It happened again, and I confess I shouldn't have been surprised but I was caught off guard. This time though I handled it differently. The complaint this time around had to do with the house not being kept to her satisfaction. This time I decided not to bother with logical arguments as to why I'd arranged things as they were. I just reorganized things so as to meet her newly expressed desires. Unfortunately this involves her being assigned a couple of tasks she really finds unpleasant, but when she pointed this out I responded that her sister and I had both had a shot at those particular chores prior to this, and clearly we couldn't manage them, so she'll just have to do it herself. I also listed several things as far as outdoor chores I handle that were not even mentioned in her list-of-things-we need-to-do-better just to show the time and energy put forth, and reminded her that I also decide the menu for dinner at home, do the shopping for the most part, and all the cooking. Oh, and by the way, even with the destruction wrought to my business by the storm, I still make about the same amount she does, so I think I'm pulling my weight. It's not like I'm sitting on my ass all day. So, we'll see how this goes. Either she'll decide her standards were too high and shut up about it, or I'll have an even cleaner house starting next week. Either way I win, and there was no fight.