Thursday, August 5, 2010

It means "Go to Hell"

I'm a history buff. Tales of endurance and courage leave me spellbound. I have several favorites, but one I like pretty well is the tale of Brigadier General Anthony McAuliffe, commander 101 Airborne Division (The Screamin' Eagles) during WWII. You may be familiar with it. At one point he and his men were cut off and surrounded. They were literally freezing because they had been rushed into the action and had not been issued winter gear, and now the worst winter weather in decades had descended on Germany. The German Army surrounding them prevented resupply by ground, and the weather prevented air operations. They were running out of ammo, food, medical supplies, pretty much everything. The German commander, after a week of bombardment against the Americans, sent a note demanding surrender. General McAuliffe sent back a one word reply, "Nuts". The Colonel delivering the message had to explain the meaning of the word to the Germans. He told them that "In plain English, it means go to Hell". I sometimes think about that outrageous act of defiance in the face of certain defeat when things get really bad for me.

I think of it because the men held out still, even after that demand. They did not surrender and they did not allow themselves to be overrun. They held the ground as ordered until General Patton's third army arrived. I find it interesting to note that most historians will say the Screamin' Eagles were rescued by Patton. However, the 101st Airborne Division itself points out to this day that their orders were to hold that ground until relieved and they did so. Their relief (Army ground forces) was merely late. Once the Army did arrive, the 101st was ordered to advance and attack, which they did, liberating another 4 towns in the next week and three more the week after that. The lesson I take from that is that no matter how bad things look, how overwhelming the odds seem, or how hopeless one feels defeat is never certain until one quits fighting.

I've been thinking about all my family has endured, all we've survived, and all we still face. I've thought about all the nay-sayers and disbelievers that thought the consummate good girl and stereotypical bad boy were doomed from the start, especially when we married less than a year after meeting. Of all those who insisted poly relationships never last when we began to explore this avenue. Of the many who snickered with satisfaction each time a poly partner did not work out for us, and of all those who yell the louder as year after year ticks by now with the Lady we found and bonded to. I'm afraid I must deliver to them bad news.

Today marks 21 years of marriage for my wife and I. The last decade we have shared with our partner. Our relationship is not on the edge of collapse. We are not at each others throats. While we have been laid low by life for a time we stand united as one still, and are growing stronger every day. To my Ladies I say I love you more everyday. Every night I think I could not possibly feel more love for you than I feel as I fall asleep, and every morning I awake to find I do.

And yet I know there are still those who hope we will fall. Who long to see us fail ourselves and each other. Who insist we have no chance. I hope they are listening now. I have something to say to them as well.

Nuts.