Sunday, August 29, 2010

A nice relief

If you've read the blog for a while, you know life has been kicking us all this time. We've been hunkered down and simply enduring the onslaught, awaiting the time when fortune and opportunity turn our way again and we can counterattack. Lately we've even gotten in some solid counter punches. Something I learned in the military however, is to snatch what pleasures can be had even in the midst of tragedy and chaos. We had a local music-fest today, so I took the Ladies up to see it. A couple of my favorite local bands were playing and we grabbed seats in the shade and just stayed all day. The music was good, and lots of sexy young women were dancing around. I spent triple what it should have cost to eat the food you can only get a street fairs. We had a great time.

There were bittersweet moments as well though. There was a very young girl there, maybe three or four, and her father was letting her hold his hands as he twirled her around in the air while she giggled hysterically. Another time a girl of about eight was on the "dance floor" just doing what 8-year-olds do when they dance. Sort of a spastic jerking around. These were reminders that our Goddaughter has moved out. I had prepared myself for the fact that she would probably want to get her own place for college. It never occurred to me that she might choose to accept an offer to go to high school halfway acrossed the country from us. I used to twirl her, and carry her, and watch her dance. I wasn't ready to lose her yet. I love her, and I miss her terribly.

Still, it was good to hear the Ladies laugh and sing. It was good to eat ice cream in the beating sun and just be together. It feels good to love them so much.