Sunday, October 18, 2009

Is this what they mean by "Bitch slap"?

So, have you seen the Dove Soap commercial about how the model get’s on the billboard? I think it’s called the evolution of beauty. You can see it here…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2gD80jv5ZQ

I stumbled acrossed this and a few others. WOW! That’s all I can say. No wonder we have such issues in women’s health. I’ve been thinking about how the “Vanilla” world treats women. Not just D/s women, but all of them. Ever think about the subtle messages that society sends? Based on paying attention to the commercials, products offered, and news stories I’ve seen in the last couple of weeks, here is what I now know about the female ideal.

If in front view your stomach is smooth and flat but does not display a six-pack, you are overweight.

If in side view your hip bones are not the forward-most part of your body you are overweight.

If in side view your hip bones are the forward-most part of your body you are anorexic.

Stretch marks must never be seen.

You have failed in life if you do not have children.

Your bust line should not be smaller than a 36d, but not larger than a 38dd.

You should have hips no wider than 36 inches, but somehow an ass no wider than 30 inches.

Your skin can not have a wrinkle, scar, sun spot, or freckle.

(A whole array of signs and signals is covered by this one) Your hair must look and feel entirely natural, but can not under any circumstances behave naturally.

(This one too) You smell. Bad. Fortunately there is an arsenal of products to overcome this.

If you do not enjoy casual sex you are a prude.

If you do enjoy casual sex you are a slut.

Your nude body, pictures of your nude body, and descriptions in literature of your body are all obscene. These are rightfully banned as sinful and harmful to society. The fact that you’ve somehow met every one of the above impossible goals notwithstanding.




I think I’ll go tell the Ladies they’re strikingly gorgeous and give them each a hug.

5 comments:

mouse said...

It's all true and yes makes me feel devastatingly inadequate. If only one of those products would only work all my life's problems would be solved.

Pity, I guess I'm just stuck with me.

(sighs)

mouse

Anonymous said...

Can you hug me next? lol

Jz said...

dear lord, I actually fit one of those criteria!
I must go lie down now...

(Since there's no one around to tell me I'm strikingly gorgeous and hug me, which sounds like a WAY better idea, can I just mention...)

greengirl said...

this is a two edged sword - which becomes even more acutely apparent when you stop to ponder how these messages impact - say, preteen kids - they give such a skewed vision to the boys and the girls - with so little to countermand that message.

Anonymous said...

I hope everything is ok Magnus Sir. I went to email you and couldnt find your email addy! I was just checking in to see how you were doing, you've been quiet!